Recorded before COVID-19, Phillip interviews Joseph McDermott of Klevu, a search solution provider for Magento
We’re still vacationing hardcore in the islands so we’re bringing you this classic episode from April 2017 you might have missed! James Zetlen, Tony Brown of Space48 and Brendan Falkowski join us to talk Imagine 2017 announcements and frontend tooling as well as a possible future with PWAs
- Tony Brown, Space 48 – @tonegolf71
- Brendan Falkowski, Gravity Dept – @falkowski
- James Zetlen, Magento Commerce – @jameszetlen
- Mallory Triana – Transcription
- Rebecca Brocton – Show Notes
- Chris Harry – Production and Editing
This episode is made up of interview recordings from Meet Magento Spain.
The first is with David Manners, a long-standing contributor turned Community Engineer at Magento. Originally from the U.K. and now residing in Germany, David Manners once hosted Mage Talk and is part of the new team at Magento that can help you contribute to the platform. Currently, 20% of the code in Magento 2 has come from the community!
“Our job is to turn people from purely consumer, to contributor.” – David Manners
The guys are joined by the Head of Business Intelligence at Magento and Former CEO of RJMetrics. We hear about Roberts career history and how RJMetrics started and grew, despite having a logo that looked like a pair of underpants.
“It’s not just about where you invest your dollars, it’s about where you invest your time and your energy.”
Rob tells us how we can be more effective with our marketing by using the data gathered by Magento BI. By looking at the broader story of a customer you can find where your most valuable customers are being acquired from and make informed decisions based on your strategy – “More often than not the channel that brings in the most first time purchasers is actually not the channel that is bringing in the highest customer lifetime value customers”. The guys also discuss the constant shifts in data you will face when you change your strategy based on previous data and how to deal with that.
Social is an exciting space for advertising and personalization. Rob tells us about one of Magento’s latest acquisition Shopial, which now forms the core of Magento Social and the guys discuss the problems it will solve for merchants, especially those who are just starting out with social advertising.
RJMetrics spent 7 years building their product, pushing for growth and being able to connect to any data source under the sun, but the real key to creating deep product market fit and deep customer value is focus and so Magento BI Essentials was born, which is the affordable solution for merchants.
Magento BI is available for all versions of Magento, TODAY. Magento 1 / Magento 2 / Magento Cloud / Community / Enterprise – it works! It will pull all your data retrospectively and even other sources, e.g. if you started on a different platform and then moved to Magento, you can still get a full overview of your business from the off.
Links / Mentions
These show notes are brought to you by Rebecca Brocton – go check out her youtube channel!
- Robert J Moore – @robertjmoore
Our series from IRCE 2016 continues with an interview with Agnes Rey-Tinat of iD Commerce + Logistics – shipping is hard, and direct to consumer shipping now has to take different types of products and challenges into account.
- Phillip Jackson – @philwinkle
Round 2: MageTalk vs Jamie Clark (the gloves stay on this time)
- 0:41 Shenanigans at Imagine (past and present)
- 4:01 Scripted vs Freestyle
- 6:42 Who is Jamie Clark?
- 13:59 Getting started with investors
- 19:10 Dealing with rejection
- 25:06 Day to day job / Company culture
- 33:50 Nepal
- 44:00 Selecting Magento for LiveOutThere.com
- Last Tango in Paris – Butter Scene (Just the lead up to the scene. SFW)
- Dave Taylor
- Mark Murphy – Hiring for Attitude
- Donate to Nepal through LiveOutThere.com
- Drew Gillson
- Ben Lessani
- LiveOutThere Blog
- Jamie Clark – @jc_climbs
- 5:52 Phil and Kalen clear the air on what is going on with the elusive Episode 13
- 9:18 Phil talks about some weird experiences with eCommerce that occurred over his vacation
- 13:40 Hosting Magento in the cloud
- 14:58 Phil and Kalen discuss some of the infrastructure of the site that was crushed by the Today Show appearance
- 22:15 The Kalen + Phil origin story
- 27:03 Magento licensing discussion
- 32:06 Kalen and Phil introduce listener feedback
- 34:38 The MageTalk Drinking game – @pronto2000
- 36:03 Kimberely Thomas controversy
- 39:44 Inside MageMail
- 55:18 Sweet Tooth interview [Kalen Intro]
- 56:29 Sweet Tooth interview
- 56:54 What is Sweet Tooth (hint: they are not a candy shop)
- 59:00 Expanding into other platforms / Moving to SaaS
- 1:04:06 Magento vs. Shopify partner programs
- 1:12:42 Magento Connect vs Shopify App Store
- 1:26:25 Revenue share per platform
- 1:28:20 Content marketing
- 1:29:20 Kalen used to work for Sweet Tooth
- 1:32:54 What makes Sweet Tooth a great place to work at
- 1:34:06 Sweet Tooth is hiring
- 1:35:12 The loyalty industry
- Smashing Pumpkins
- Fabrizio’s slides from PHPWorld on performance
- The Ultimate Guide to Customer Retention
- Bill freestyle juggles a soccer ball at a car wash
- Sweet Tooth Promo for Magento
Phillip goes to Magento Live Germany and interviews some well-known Magento Community members
- Brent Peterson: https://twitter.com/brentwpeterson
- Akeneo: http://www.akeneo.com/
- Sylvain Rayé: https://twitter.com/sylvainraye
- Tobias Zander: https://twitter.com/airbone42
- Christian Münch: https://twitter.com/cmuench